Spiced Apple and Pear Chutney Recipe.
The season comes with lots of bonuses as the land yields some of the nation’s favourites: from apples, to pears, to brambles, to carrots, to cabbages. Why not preserve your most abundant crops to enjoy throughout winter? We came up with a recipe that combines some scrumptious ingredients and the results are...taste bud pleaser in a jar!
Fills approx. 3 x 250-300ml jars.
- 350g/12oz cooking apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 350g/12oz firm pears, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 200g/4oz chopped dried dates
- 350g/12oz soft brown sugar
- 1/2 inch cube fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 500ml/ 1 pint cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp cardamom, ground
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice, ground
- 1/8 tsp cayenne powder
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste....
Combine vinegar, sugar, salt and spices in a large pan and stir well to help the sugar dissolve.
Add apples, pears, ginger and onion and mix well. Bring the mixture to a boil over a medium heat, then simmer uncovered, stirring frequently, for 50-60 mins or until the liquid mostly evaporated and the fruits are soft and the mixture is fairly thick.
Remove from the heat and transfer carefully into hot, sterilised jars and seal.
Store in a cool, dark place. Will keep unopened for 3-12 months.